The Solar Ready Vets Fellowship is implemented by Hiring Our Heroes. The Fellowship connects transitioning service members with solar employers for on-the-job experience in leadership and corporate roles, offering access to a natural recruitment pipeline of the best and brightest transitioning military talent as they’re exploring civilian career options.
Job seekers: If you’re interested in pursuing a fellowship, apply here and be sure to indicate your interest in solar opportunities.
Host a Fellow
If you’re ready to host a Solar Ready Vets Fellow, please review the program information on this page and send an email to E’lon Hall at the Solar Energy Industries Association, [email protected].
If you’re interested in staying up to date on fellowship cohorts and other opportunities, join the Solar Ready Vets Network and indicate your interest in the program.
Fellowship Program at a Glance:
- Highly qualified transitioning service members are placed with solar industry employers for 12 weeks of on-the-job training, intended to lead to employment.
- Candidates are interviewed and matched with participating companies based on their specific knowledge and skills and the preferences of both parties.
- The Corporate Fellowship is focused on professional roles requiring a college degree, professional certification, and/or leadership experience—such as project management, business development, operations and logistics, communications, policy, engineering, etc. A new Skills-Based Fellowship program focuses on developing the skills needed to launch successful careers in high-demand fields such as skilled trades and more.
- Solar Ready Vets Fellows receive a self-paced “Solar 101” curriculum, which offers an orientation to the technical, market, and policy dimensions of the solar industry.
There is no cost to employers or fellows to participate. As the Fellowship is a Department of Defense SkillBridge program, fellows are still on active duty, and will continue to receive their military salaries and benefits through the 12 weeks.
- 2024 Cohort 1 January 8 – March 28, 2024 deadline to apply: October 12, 2023
- 2024 Cohort 2 April 29 – July 18, 2024 deadline to apply: February 15, 2024
- 2024 Cohort 3 August 26 – November 14, 2024 deadline to apply: June 6, 2024
Typical Corporate Fellowship Roles
Fellows’ education, experience, and individual skill sets are commensurate with management / professional roles such as (but not limited to):
- Business development
- Project management
- Construction management
- Policy / government relations
- Operations & logistics
- Engineering / system design
- Research / data analysis
- Human Resources
Our partner Hiring Our Heroes has launched a new Skills-Based fellowship program and we look forward to supporting a broader pool of military talent with solar fellowship opportunities.
Employers, please note — if you’re looking for SkillBridge options for skilled trade and technical roles, please visit review Programs & Partners resources here.
Brian DesmondDirector of Operations, Standard Energy Solutions
“The level of candidates from Hiring Our Heroes was exceptional. All the candidates we met were highly professional individuals, each offering a wide range of experience leading teams to accomplish a goal/mission.”
How it Works
- Connect with a a Hiring Our Heroes Program Manager
Reach out to our team to schedule an introductory call with Hiring Our Heroes. You’ll be assigned to one or s Program Managers based on the geographic region you’re targeting. Your Program Manager will then share candidate resumes for your review ahead of each cohort, and offer support throughout the placement process.
- Review resumes, interview candidates, and make offers
Employers independently set up interviews with fellowship candidates. Candidates typically interview with several employers, so it’s best to connect with candidates early in the interview window! Make an offer to your selected fellowship candidate(s).
- Host your Solar Ready Vets Fellow(s)
Each cohort runs for 12 weeks, during which time the fellow is on the job with their employer from Monday -Thursday. This real-world experience is supplemented by professional development sessions led by Hiring Our Heroes on Fridays. Program Managers will check in with both the employers and fellows periodically to ensure a positive experience for all.
Toward the end of the fellowship, employers are encouraged to speak directly with fellows and make offers to fellows they wish to bring on after the fellowship ends.
Upon completion of the fellowship, 92% of fellows are offered full-time employment.
Our Track Record
Solar Ready Vets Fellows have filled leadership and management roles with diverse solar companies. Read a case study to learn more about the immense value that Solar Ready Vets Fellows offer to employers on day one.
Nick De VriesSenior Vice President of Technology & Asset Management at Silicon Ranch; US Army Veteran
“The key thing to make the program work is executive interest. We know at every level of the company that this matters… we all understand that [hiring veterans] is important for our growth and important for our country”