A general contractor with residential endorsement or general contractor limited-residential license is required to install solar thermal or PV. Any electrical work subject to the National Electrical Code must be performed by licensed electricians and supervised by a licensed electrical administrator. The Alaska Department of Labor requires a Certificate of Fitness for plumbers, electricians, and workers with asbestos abatement, hazardous paint, explosives, and boiler operators.

Solar Licensing Table for Alaska

Residential endorsement holders must complete Alaska Craftsman Home Program (ACHP), or a post-secondary course in Arctic engineering or its equivalent and pass the residential endorsement exam issued by Prometric PSI. Electrical administrators must pass the Prometric PSI electrical administrator exam in the applicable license category. Information can be obtained at: for residential endorsement for electrical administrators for mechanical administrators

Electric code: 2011 NEC

Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, South Dakota, Utah, New Mexico, Oklahoma, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Arizona, and Colorado

Required training or experience: For journeyman electrician and plumbers- 16 hours of continuing education in the 24 months immediately preceding renewal.

Exam: no

Certificate good for two years


  1. ACHP (Alaska Craftsman Home Program)
  2. Alaska Department of Labor/Mechanical Inspection
  3. Alaska Department of Labor and Occupational Safety and Health



For the next 24 hours, you can download any IREC report without having to fill out this form again!

This feature requires the use of cookies in your browser. Check your browser settings if you experience any problems.